Even though antifreeze is a common automotive product, it is a poison and needs to be disposed of carefully.Antifreeze cannot be recycled and both the contents and container must be disposed of through a hazardous waste scheme. The following hazardous waste schemes will take antifreeze: Victoria’s Detox Your Home, Household Chemical CleanOut NSW, and Zero Waste SA.In other states there are commercial and council options available. Check for your recycling locations here.
Antifreeze has a sweet smell which makes it attractive for pets and children. Approximately 2 tablespoons of antifreeze is enough to kill a dog. Your pet will display the following symptoms if antifreeze gets in their system
Loss of co-ordination
If your pet is displaying these symptoms, it is critical that you seek veterinary assistance immediately.